Feel Good Friday

3rd September 2010

Feel Good Friday

Spousal/partner weight gain is a frequent letter seen among the sundry list of gripes and complaints seen by advice columnists and few columnists get it right with their responses.  The Washington Post’s Carolyn Hax has always been a moderate voice of compassion when it comes to such weighty issues.  She’s on vacation this week and readers are giving the advice.  Here’s a gem from today’s column in regards to a previous letter from a man who blamed his infidelity on his wife’s recent weight gain .

I’ve always believed that every woman is beautiful. Every woman. If I don’t see the beauty in one, that’s MY problem, not hers. It’s up to me to work harder to see the beauty, not up to her to make herself live up to whatever my standards might be.

Word.

This entry was posted on Friday, September 3rd, 2010 at 2:07 pm and is filed under Body Image, Body-Affirming, Fat Acceptance, Rachel. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. Both comments and pings are currently closed.

There are currently 11 responses to “Feel Good Friday”

1. 1 On September 3rd, 2010, Ashley said:

Word x2. Great quote!

2. 2 On September 3rd, 2010, notblueatall said:

Love this quote! Thank you! I’ve seen some pretty awful ones, too. Very nice.

3. 3 On September 3rd, 2010, Missy said:

4. 4 On September 3rd, 2010, Tiana said:

That is really a lovely quote.

5. 5 On September 3rd, 2010, meerkat said:

Unless she is not confident, because those people are hideous even if they are supermodels! Or so I have been told by very many well-meaning people. (Sorry, that was a bit derailish. Venting from the time I tried to get someone to rephrase “confidence makes you 1000x more beautiful” to “confidence helps people see your beauty” so that I wouldn’t have to conclude that I am hopelessly ugly, and she was all, “NO! Confidence is vital to beauty!” So remember, kids, the thing to tell people who are insecure about their looks is that their insecurity makes them disgusting.)

6. 6 On September 5th, 2010, Anna said:

What a great quote! I really hate those “My husband/wife looks different than when I married them and that makes them not love me anymore!” people. Not cool.

7. 7 On September 5th, 2010, Ashley @ Nourishing the Soul said:

Awesome! I would expand that quote to add that every man is beautiful too. Beauty goes deeper than skin (or belly fat). Kudos to the reader for being so wise!

8. 8 On September 8th, 2010, Kensington said:

Love it. Carolyn Hax is a must-read for me. She has insight that is wise beyond her years and I adore her column.

9. 9 On September 13th, 2010, Big Fat Deal » Is Confidence Overrated? said:

[...] few days ago, I read the comments of this post on The F Word, discussing the idea that “every woman is beautiful.” This comment from Meerkat has [...]

10. 10 On September 20th, 2010, J. M. Richards said:

This gives me hope for mankind. Sometimes I get so discouraged at how shallow and appearance-obsessed we’ve become. To know that there are people like this out there (not just my friends and family) is so encouraging.

11. 11 On September 28th, 2010, Kensington said:

I reposted that quote to the Something Fishy Website on Eating Disorders and it got a great reaction.