No, I will not help you make money by spreading fat hate

4th May 2010

No, I will not help you make money by spreading fat hate

posted in Body Politic, Fat Bias, Rachel |

Here’s an email I just received from some PR flack who’s obviously never been to The-F-Word.

Hello,

Recent studies have shown that depression can actually lead to obesity in adolescent youth through raised stress hormones. With a very recent, hefty 6 million dollar donation from the National Heart, Lung and Blood Institute, The Cornell Center for Behavior Intervention Development has begin its approach at striking down obesity in our youth, including minorities.

I’d like to take a moment to discuss the topic at hand with you and the readers of http://the-f-word.org/blog/.

Please, take a minute to consider this and get back to me at your earliest; it would be a pleasure to contribute!

Kindly,

Rachelle

And my reply:

Instead of “striking down obesity in our youth,” have you ever considered “promoting mental and physical health for ALL youth, regardless of weight”? Or, have you ever considered that fat kids develop “raised stress hormones” as the result of weight-based discrimination and harassment, including campaigns like this one that tells fat kids that their bodies are deviant and not acceptable? Have you considered at all that by specifically targeting fat kids, you are actually only contributing to the kind of hostile environment that lead many of them to develop depression and other mental health problems.?

No, thanks.

By the way, Rachelle’s signature identifies her as working in “Web Relations” for a large Chicago-based cosmetic surgery center.  No surprises there.

This entry was posted on Tuesday, May 4th, 2010 at 3:50 pm and is filed under Body Politic, Fat Bias, Rachel. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. Both comments and pings are currently closed.

There are currently 17 responses to “No, I will not help you make money by spreading fat hate”

1. 1 On May 4th, 2010, Shannon Russell said:

But wait a minute, Rachel, she’s trying to help. She’s going to strike obesity down. She’s going to strike it down DEAD!

Peace,
    Shannon

2. 2 On May 4th, 2010, rachel with a little r said:

“Behavior Intervention Development”…huh. Doesn’t sound like wholesome help for depression in the first place, really…just…just…I get ickies all around reading that email…

3. 3 On May 4th, 2010, Ashley said:

Let us know if she replies back to you.

4. 4 On May 4th, 2010, Mary Sue said:

Aw, that’s sweet. She wants to help us poor fat brown girls, because we’re not good enough, we’re not strong enough, and gosh darn it, no one likes us.

OW! I think I just rolled my eyes so hard I sprained them.

5. 5 On May 4th, 2010, marzipan said:

i just love you. you’re hilarious/awesome/smart/kickass.

6. 6 On May 4th, 2010, Len said:

INCLUDING minorities! Oh hai. Crayzee idea.

There is something about the last-minute nature of that statement that makes my skin crawl. Hey, not only are they ‘striking down’ obesity, they are also being sooper-generous and spreading some of the results of that ‘hefty’ (*snork*) donation EVEN in the general direction of the MINORITIES! Whoa.

And then your reply renewed my faith in humanity. Phew! Thanks for restoring my decorum!

7. 7 On May 4th, 2010, Toni said:

When they can’t even take the time to put your blog’s NAME in the form letter, but just put the URL, you know it’s not even worth reading.

8. 8 On May 4th, 2010, Jackie said:

Seems like there are a lot of people who just send e-mails out going “Durr fat is in teh title of blog, must be about weight loss durrr..”

9. 9 On May 4th, 2010, Regina T said:

There’s the link to the Cornell University article describing just what they are attempting to do to “affect a 7 percent weight reduction in each obese adult participating”.

Key words and sentences from the article that will result in massive eyerolls:

“aims to cut obesity and obesity-related deaths in the city’s African-American and Latino communities” (privileged whitey gonna ensmarten us with their brainnnnz and earn do-gooder status while getting rich from the $6 million dollar grant while we struggle with 3 jobs, no car, limited access to basic healthcare and education, and inadequate housing)
    “lifestyle changes” (diet)
    “personalized programs” (diet designed FOR YOU!)
    “mindful eating strategies aimed at reducing weight through small, sustained changes in eating behavior coupled with sustained increases in physical activity” (eat less exercise more)
    “interventions that people can use at home” (diet again)
    “Brian Wansink, the John Dyson Professor of Consumer Behavior at Cornell, will contribute his knowledge on how passive and active interventions — from the way patients stock their kitchen pantries and cupboards to how food is arranged on a table — can be strong determinants in what and how much is eaten” (those crazy “tricks” we all can use!)

You get the picture. Read at your own risk. Results may vary.

10. 10 On May 4th, 2010, Lady Di said:

ROCK ON Rach! This is why I read this blog EVERY SINGLE DAY!!!

11. 11 On May 5th, 2010, The Binge Diary said:

Awesome response! Keep us updated!

12. 12 On May 5th, 2010, Rachel said:

She replied back and totally didn’t get it at all. And she included the piece she wanted to write, which oh so conveniently slipped in an advertising plug for the cosmetic surgery center she works for. I’m handfeeding five orphaned kittens and it’s their feeding time now, so I’ll have to post that later when I have more than 30 seconds to write.

13. 13 On May 5th, 2010, Alyssa (The 40 year-old) said:

I once went on a job interview that was supposed to be for teaching drama to middle and high school kids. I did a lot of that at the time, because I discovered how much confidence kids can get from taking arts classes and workshops. So I was a bit surprised when I showed up at the interview and discovered it was a modeling “agency” looking to bilk young girls and their parents out of thousands of dollars by promising them they “might” be able to get modeling jobs. Eventually. After taking 8 or 10 classes at about $500 a pop. AND, I was supposed to go to public schools, weed out the “hot” girls, and then give them the sales pitch. The interviewer apparently thought she was complimenting me when she told me I had “the right look.” Of course, I was anorexic at the time, so I guess she was right.
    Anyway, I declined the job offer, wrote to the publication tha had published the job posting, and considered myself lucky to have dodged a bullet. Of course, this being L.A., no one batted an eyelash when I told them about the misleading advertising.

I wish I’d had the courage to say to her what you said to Rachelle.

14. 14 On May 5th, 2010, Jackie said:

She didn’t get it at all? How stupid can someone be? I’d say send her a childrens’ storybook to explain it, but since they all now are about preventing obesity in children..

15. 15 On May 6th, 2010, Tina said:

No, a children’s book isn’t going far enough–she should get the toddler/occupational therapy version where you put the shoelace in the shoelace hole and put the button in the button hole …

16. 16 On May 7th, 2010, At least patriarchy is comfortable! said:

Can we delete Jackie’s comment? The “durr” thing is a slur againt the mentally handicapped.

17. 17 On November 9th, 2010, James said:

Well. And my wife is well over 200# thanks to antidepressants, and I am 5’10 and have never weighed over 125# in my life. It is obvious what the woman is trying to do with her “offer” to you: she wants you to work with her (and her cosmetic center) to help guilt-trip fat women into anorexic ones. And do it for free, to boot.

People come in all shapes and sizes. We are born, not produced from cookie cutters. Perhaps she should go out and look at the world, instead of trying to force it into her idea, backed with $6M, of what she “thinks” it ought to be.

Sometimes I think that the Romance stories I edit for a living portray life more realistically than people do: they are about romance, not cosmetic surgery. They are about what life might be like, not what someone “thinks” it “should” be like. The greatest tool of Romance author, or the romantic, is the mind; not the scalpel nor today’s tabloid diet-plan. And Romance is what makes everything worthwhile in life, not cosmetic surgeons.

Being forced to submit to a particular “ideal” of beauty based on shape is no less Fascist than being forced to submit to ANY ideal based on what someone else thinks.

I am glad to see that you so succinctly rejected her so-called “offer”: we have enough Fascists and eugenics “specialists” already in the world.