What We Missed

2nd February 2010

What We Missed

A new study of 1,000 American girls between the ages of 13-17 by the Girl Scouts finds that 9 out of 10 girls say they feel pressure from the media and/or fashion industry to be skinny.  More than 80 percent of the girls polled said they’d rather see natural photos of models than digitally enhanced or altered photos.

Specialists calculate life expectancy for people with anorexia to be 25 years shorter than average.  Patients who recover however, may expect full lifespans.

A Chicago mom and grandmother shares her story of finally overcoming anorexia after 25 years of battling the disorder.

Remember the mental health parity law that passed in 2008? The The U.S. Departments of Health and Human Services, Labor and the Treasury jointly issued new rules this week governing the law.

The Website Realself.com tracked cosmetic surgery trends by region and even city with some surprising results.

New “groundbreaking” study shows abnormal brain function in people with body dysmorphic disorder.

Eve Ensler: Girl power can save the world.

The New York Times reviews Michael Pollan’s new book, “Food Rules: An Eater’s Manual.”

This entry was posted on Tuesday, February 2nd, 2010 at 1:07 pm and is filed under Anorexia, Body Image, Book Reviews, Eating Disorders, Fashion, Food Culture, Mental Health, New Research, Pop Culture, Rachel, Recovery. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. Both comments and pings are currently closed.

There are currently 8 responses to “What We Missed”

1. 1 On February 2nd, 2010, Ashley said:

I really love that Girl Scouts is making a sort of a comeback by getting in on the battle of body image. If they keep going at this rate, they could make a great impact.

2. 2 On February 2nd, 2010, Lady Di said:

Love Eve Ensler! I am performing in The Vagina Monologues in April. Yeah girl power!!

3. 3 On February 2nd, 2010, Entangled said:

Having dealt with disordered eating, I feel like the last thing the world needs is more rules about food. It’s not tax regulation – it’s just nourishment.

4. 4 On February 3rd, 2010, rachel with a little r said:

Speaking of Girl Scouts, i have a vintage Girl Scout manual that I picked up at the flea market (I’m a sucker for old books) and I opened to a random page and read something that to the effect of, “Girl Scouts will be measured to ensure that their measurements meet the appropriate numbers for girls their age, and if not, they will be informed of exercises they need to do to correct their measurements.” I was like, Jesus, dude…these are little girls…back in the day!!!!

5. 5 On February 5th, 2010, All Women Stalker said:

Thanks for sharing those links! Will definitely be checking them out.

6. 6 On February 5th, 2010, Ria said:

Great roundup as always. What a shame we have a spammer in our midst, though!

7. 7 On February 6th, 2010, Hoboken Mommy said:

It’s sad. I am concerned about keeping slender, but I have so many friends who have body image problems. You can’t even enjoy eating out with them b/c they spend their time excusing why they’re not eating much or just not relishing food. It sucks out the pleasure of food. This is the 2nd site that’s mentioned Food Rules. I’m definitely going to get it! I agree that we need to switch over to a predominantly plant-based diet to sustain a healthy weight and help the planet!

8. 8 On February 8th, 2010, Kate said:

Hey, Rachel I think that lady is from Newfoundland, CA not Chicago. Great roundup, though.