Food History Blogging: Breakfasts of Champions

17th June 2009

Food History Blogging: Breakfasts of Champions

For much of my adult life, I’ve rarely eaten breakfast.  As a kid, I’d eat whatever generic sugary cereal that promised the best toy or we’d be sent out the door to school armed with a Pop Tart or snack cake.  I’ve never been a morning person either, but most of my aversion to breakfast stems more so from the fact that even when I ate meat I never really liked breakfast foods, or, at least, popular American breakfast foods.  Bacon?  Ick.  Sausage?  Links maybe, but definitely not patties.  Fried eggs?  Gross.  Doughnuts or strudel?  Too saccharine.  I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism in my early 20s and prescribed Synthroid, which must be taken on an empty stomach.  I got into the habit of taking it in the mornings, thus giving me a convenient excuse to skip breakfast altogether.

Breakfast is the most important meal of the day or so dietitians keep telling us.  And studies showing that kids and adults who eat breakfast perform better in school and are more productive at work certainly back it up.  My doctor recently recommended that I try to increase the number of hours I sleep and to start eating breakfast, so I’ve been making a concerted effort in both areas.  My dilemma, however, is not whether I should eat breakfast, but rather what to eat for breakfast.  We’re so culturally staid in that there are certain foods that are appropriate for certain meals and foods that are not appropriate at certain meals.  Brunch for lunch was always popular in my grade school even though it consisted of limp French toast drowning beneath watery syrup and accompanied by anemic sausage links just because the breakfast-lunch inversion was so novel a concept to us.  Bacon and eggs, French toast, waffles and pancakes, toast and cereals are all considered traditional American breakfast foods, but it’s interesting to note that they haven’t always been the breakfasts of champions.  Here’s a quick rundown of American breakfast foods through the ages:

Pioneer Breakfast: Like their Native American counterparts, pioneers relied on cornmeal as a breakfast staple.  Cornpone (pan-fried in oil), hoecakes (small pancakes cooked on a garden hoe), Johnnycakes (flattened and griddle-fried) and Ashcakes (wrapped in cabbage leaves and cooked in campfire ashes) were popular amongst the poor and well-to-do.  George Washington’s step-granddaughter recorded his breakfast habits, for instance, as: “‘[H]e ate three small mush cakes (Indian meal) swimming in butter and honey, and drank three cups of tea without cream.” Check out Paula Deen’s hoecakes recipe or this recipe for Johnny cakes.

Victorian Breakfast: Victorian breakfast menus were more extensive owing to the rise of the middle-class and middle-class mothers who had more leisure time and disposable income to improve the quality and range of food options.  Middle-class families expanded breakfast to include at least one hot dish or meat and/or eggs, along with fish, breads, porridge and fruit.  Menus could be quite extensive and a formal Victorian breakfast might include Eggs Benedict, smoked Haddock, English muffins, fruit, toast and cake or crepes.  Folgers introduced its pre-roasted and ground coffees in the 1860s, and coffee quickly became a breakfast staple.  Check out these recipes offered by Victorian bed-and-breakfasts and inns across the nation.

Breakfast Cereals: Dr. John Harvey Kellogg developed and patented America’s first flaked cereal he called Granose Flakes in 1894.  He and brother Will Keith Kellogg joined him in creating the first corn flakes cereal three years later.  After a bitter feud left them divided, Will Keith started his own plant in 1906 that would come to be known as the modern day Kellogg Company.  He introduced Rice Krispies in 1929.  Inspired and rebuffed by J.H. Kellogg, an inventor by the name of C. W. Post went on to produce his own cereal he called Grape Nuts.  By 1900, he had become a multi-millionaire.  Read more about the Kellogg brothers here.

Oatmeal: Some 80 percent of Americans are estimated to have oatmeal in their cupboards today, but it wasn’t always so popular.  Although oats are one of the earliest cereals to be cultivated by man, Americans did not begin growing them in large quantities until the nineteenth century.  And until the twentieth century, oatmeal proved quite arduous to prepare, requiring as long as 24 hours soaking time.  Quaker Oats was registered as a cereal trademark in 1877.  “Quick oats” were introduced in 1922 and “Instant” oatmeal in 1966.  “Flavored” oatmeals arrived in the 1970s.  Today’s rolled, instant and quick oats are far different from the steel cut oatmeal prepared in earlier centuries and as some would say, less tasty and healthy.  Check out a recipe for steel cut oats here.

Doughnuts: Doughnuts date back to prehistoric reuins in the American Southwest, but they’re primarily credited to the Dutch who would fry sweet dough balls in pork fat.  Dutch pilgrims brought these olykoeks to America where they were dubbed “dough-nuts” because they were usually prepared with prunes, apples or nuts in the middle (these fillings were added mostly because it was so difficult to fully cook the centers of the doughballs).  Legend has it that a popular sea captain disliked the nuts his wife prepared in his doughnuts and poked them out.  Acting on his orders, the ship’s captain removed all subsequent doughnut centers with a round tin cutout, thus giving rise to the doughnut hole we all know today.  Returning WWI G.I.s brought back with them a craze for doughnuts after having been served them by the grateful French and doughnuts began to be mass-produced by the 1920s.  They remained primarily a snack food in the U.S. however, until the invention of the doughnut machine in the 1930s.  Krispy Kreme and Dunkin’ Doughnuts arrived in the 1940s and 1950s and made popular the pairing of coffee and doughnuts.  The whole cops and doughnut shops lore exists today because these shops were often the only places open all night.  In the days before Red Bull, police officers would get their caffeine fix there so as to get them over the 4 – 7 a.m. hump.  The doughnut’s holiness was challenged by the growing popularity of the bagel in the 1970s and 1980s; by 1999 bagels were reported by the New York Times to have overtook the doughnut in popularity. However both remain popular today with even Dunkin’ Doughnuts selling bagels.  Check out these recipes for doughnuts and bagels.

I’m trying to let go of my breakfast foods propriety and instead just make things that I like and that will give my brain a much-needed boost.  Some of my breakfast favorites are: strawberries, blueberries and granola in yogurt; Morningstar Farms Veggie Sausage Links; peanut butter toast and a banana; pineapple chunks and cottage cheese; a veggie BLT made with Morningstar Farms Bacon Strips; the occasional scrambled eggs on toast; and, of course, fresh fruit.  How about you?  Are you a breakfast person or no?  If so, what are some of your favorite breakfast foods?

This entry was posted on Wednesday, June 17th, 2009 at 11:45 am and is filed under Food History, Health, Nutrition & Fitness, Vegetarianism. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. Both comments and pings are currently closed.

There are currently 45 responses to “Food History Blogging: Breakfasts of Champions”

1. 1 On June 17th, 2009, JeanC said:

I am most decidedly NOT a breakfast person. Food first thing in the morning either comes back up, sits like led in my tummy or just makes me feel ick. Needless to say, growing up was fun as my mom is of the breakfast is the most important part of the day crowd.

She would come up with a variety of things to try and get me to eat. We eventually compromised on Instant Breakfast, which generally had me in a coma during home room at school :P

So once I moved out of the house, I pretty much stuck with tea or coffee for brekkie. I can eat breakfast as long as I have been up for 3-4 hours, so by then it is lunch :D

I did discover recently I can do things like miso soup for breakfast as long as it doesn’t have any solids in it. Now I just need to do up batches of it with veggies, strain the veggies and have the liquid to nuke in the morning and I am set to go.

2. 2 On June 17th, 2009, Lucy said:

Now I’m SO hungry. I hate you. :)

I have to have SOMETHING in the morning, even if it’s little, because I forget to eat a lot during the day and by the time I realize I haven’t eaten all day I’m totally ravenous. So breakfast helps tide me over a little. Lately I’ve been on a poached eggs on toast mania- they’re so easy, and since they don’t require any butter or spray or anything in their preparation, they’re one of the healthier ways to eat eggs.

I was surprised when I went to Israel because a typical Israeli breakfast consists of mostly vegetables and cheese or yogurt. But I guess it’s not much different than having miso soup for breakfast, or as Dr. Perricone recommends, having salmon for breakfast (which I have not tried yet, at least by itself and not in an omelet or smoked on a bagel).

3. 3 On June 17th, 2009, Larrygnu said:

I love my breakfast. I tend to eat a food(s) until I get sick of it, then move onto something else. Currently, I’m a sausage and egg man. Before that, I was eating smoothies (made with whole fat yogurt, banana, coconut milk, and anything else I found laying around). Before that, I was eating steel cut oats with a little honey stirred in (if I need some added fat to give the meal staying power, I’ll add some sausage on the side). Before that, it was buckwheat lightly toasted in a dry skillet, then cooked on the stove top about 15 to 20 minutes. Before that, it was beans. Yup. Beans. Usually black beans with soysage, served with a tortilla. Or eggs and chickpeas (yum!)

But now I’m getting bored with the sausage and eggs. I can hardly wait to see what I come up with next :)

4. 4 On June 17th, 2009, Aleksiina said:

Definitely NOT a morning person too! Food right after getting up always makes me queasy. I tend to get hungry around 10:00 am, so I just listen to my body and eat then instead of forcing myself to eat something earlier. I actually do that for every meal, listening to my body’s signals instead of sticking to schedules, and found out that I was happier and healthier that way.

I am a vegetarian too, so most of the usual breakfast foods are verboten. I usually have a small handful of raw almonds, yogurt or cheese, and whatever seasonal fruit I can get my hands on, with toast. I found out through the years that a good bit of protein in my first meal usually tides me over for longer periods of time, and that I’m more focused and productive. I never got used to drinking coffee or tea (I only drink it with friends for fun, since i don’t even own a coffemaker!), so I make a nice smoothie with berries and apple juice instead.

Whatever works :)

5. 5 On June 17th, 2009, Rachel said:

One of my favorite breakfast foods as a teen/young adult was when my cousin Allean and her family came for a visit from Texas, where they lived near Houston. Allean’s husband is Mexican-American and his parents still own a ranch in Mexico. They brought with them authentic Mexican chorizo sausage and Allean fried it up with scrambled eggs and served it with tortillas. I saw a veggie chorizo blend a couple years ago at Whole Foods and got excited, but it was really gross. It just isn’t the same without the fat and oil from the meat.

6. 6 On June 17th, 2009, Entangled said:

I turn into a furnace at night and by the time I wake up in the morning, I’m burning up and STARVING. Sometimes I wake up too early because I’m too hungry to go back to sleep. It’s a poor match with my partner, though, who is way less of a morning person AND can’t eat until lunchtime.

But, yes, DEFINITELY a breakfast person. As a kid, I didn’t like breakfast foods much. I’d eat cereal or toast but preferred leftovers like spaghetti or indian food. Now I’m more into traditional breakfasts but sadly my obsessions with Barbara’s shredded spoonfuls and puffins are starting to turn into being tired of them. I may have to turn to granola or bake muffins. I am also really into whole foods veggie sausage patties. Yum!

Oh, and the other weird thing? I hate milk so I always have my cereal either dry or with berries/chopped fruit in it.

7. 7 On June 17th, 2009, Kaylee said:

I usually have my coffee and some french toast with fresh blueberries this time of year (really quick and easy!). Once fresh berries are out of season I usually switch to oatmeal with some seasonal fresh fruit, or somedays even just some milk and brown sugar.

I find that it’s easier to eat breakfast if it becomes routine. If I’m out of bed and making breakfast before I’m even truly awake, once it’s on my plate I find that I actually quite enjoy it.

The smoothies that the last commenter suggested are a really good idea as well. Vanilla yogurt and whatever frozen fruit you can get your hands on is like ice cream for breakfast. So yummy!

8. 8 On June 17th, 2009, Cindy said:

I used to skip breakfast but in high school I started getting sick by 10:30 if I didn’t eat anything. Now I force myself to at least eat something (even if it’s small) in the morning, whether I’m hungry or not, and it has helped tremendously.

That being said, I’ve also worked graveyard shift several times at various jobs, so my idea of “breakfast” food is non-traditional at best. I can attest that it’s not easy to get a chicken quesadilla at 7am if you don’t have time to make it yourself.

9. 9 On June 17th, 2009, The Bald Soprano said:

Rachel: My mother recommended scrambled eggs with potato bits (like leftover boiled or fried potatoes) in a tortilla. I still haven’t tried it (we haven’t made tortillas since she made the suggestion), but I want to! She picked that up when we lived in Texas when I was a baby. I’m quite fond of fried-egg-and-salsa in a tortilla already, but wanted some variety. Naturally, we haven’t had the time to make tortillas since.

I went nuts on the German breakfast tradition (at least, the Bavarian one –I’ve seen it outside my husband’s family, so it’s not just them!) of bread-and-toppings (rolls, baguette, german rye breads and butter with various cheeses and meats (of course you’d leave out the meats) or jam), but I ate the same thing too many times in a row, much to my husband’s disappointment. I’m just starting to like it again now.

I’m also very fond of leftovers for breakfast –especially stir-fry or pizza. I tend to prefer low-effort breakfasts, can you tell? It may have something to do with years of fatigue.

10. 10 On June 17th, 2009, June said:

I’m not a breakfast person. I just can’t seem to get hungry before 10 am unless I ate too early/barely anything the night before.

I usually just bake a batch of bran muffins at the beginning of the week and take a couple of those & an apple with me every morning when I leave for work. Normally I wouldn’t bother eating at all, but I do like me some coffee, and my stomach doesn’t like having coffee when it’s empty.

11. 11 On June 17th, 2009, Rachel said:

@Entangled: We were addicted to Barbara’s Peanut Butter Puffins for a while, but also got sick of them. We like the Mother’s brand Peanut Butter Bumpers, but as a snack, not breakfast. And we haven’t even had that in about six months.

@Bald Soprano: I’m with you on low-effort breakfasts… and lunches and dinners!

12. 12 On June 17th, 2009, Faith said:

oatmeal with banana and hard boiled eggs or cottage cheese. It’s got protein, fruit, fat, fiber, carb. Everything to get me going in the morning. I also eat at my desk (I get to work around 6 am) so all of it has to be easy. I keep my oatmeal at work and warm it in the microwave, and then I’ll bring the protein with me.

13. 13 On June 17th, 2009, Heidi said:

I have homemade breakfast burritos that I keep in the freezer at work – I usually have one with salsa when I get in every morning.

I can’t do pure carbs on an empty stomach or it makes my blood sugar go nuts, meaning that I end up lethargic and feeling miserable (hurray for PCOS and insulin resistance!) It also wreaks havoc on my IBS. Protein, veggies, and the starch from the tortilla help immensely with getting me started.

On the weekends my dad (yes, I’m an adult living in a shared house with my parents, husband, and son) may make pancakes/biscuits/etc. with some form of breakfast meat and I’ll have those. I actually just chatted with my new nutritionist about protein-friendly breakfast options like yogurt and granola, PB on toast, breakfast burritos, etc.

14. 14 On June 17th, 2009, Samantha C said:

i never eat breakfast for one simple reason– by the time I’m hungry, it’s lunchtime. When left to my own devices, i wake up around 11am or noon. Even when i wake up earlier, I’m just not hungry for the first couple hours excepting rare occasions. I’m not a big egg fan and I just don’t love lots of breakfast foods, but i know exactly what you mean about separating out what food is okay to eat at what time, just from a weird cultural standpoint. On the other hand, I looove cold cereal late at night. So I essentially flip my schedual– I eat lunch, dinner, and breakfast most days. Just that breakfast is around 10 or 11pm, when i’m hungry again after dinner’s long over since i’ll be up till 1 or 2am

15. 15 On June 17th, 2009, Twistie said:

I can’t remember what it’s called, but my mother-in-law got me hooked on this fabulous Japanese breakfast. Basically, you pour green tea over rice and season with shredded seaweed and some sort of seeds that comes in a little packet you can pick up at Asian grocery stores.

Anyway, it’s incredibly comforting and delicious on a cold morning, but also pretty light.

As for what I usually eat, well that varies. Sometimes it’s cold cereal with milk, sometimes yogurt with fruit and nuts, sometimes bacon and eggs, sometimes a muffin or scone, sometimes cold pizza or leftover Chinese takeout…it’s even been a big bowl of the previous nights’ soup or stew once in a while. The one thing that’s eternal is my coffee. Before my first cup of coffee I resemble nothing so much as a rockhopper penguin. It must be genetic. My aunt Louise was the same way.

I can’t eat right when I get up. I need to get at least a half a cup of coffee in me first. All the same, I can’t put off eating too long or I get insanely wobbly, mildly incoherent, and extremely short-tempered. It’s a delicate balance, but I usually manage well. In the few cases where I don’t, Mr. Twistie is always sure to put something foodlike in front of me and instruct me to eat.

16. 16 On June 17th, 2009, Bree said:

I never used to eat a full breakfast until I started working at a nursing home where I had time to eat in the morning. But a full breakfast for me would be a piece of fruit, some crackers, and a bottle of apple or orange juice. I rarely do pancakes, don’t eat waffles, and sometimes on the weekend I will do sausage and bacon. Since I have to take a daily iron pill with a meal, I eat my fruit and a biscuit, or granola bar, or muffin. I save my bigger meals for dinner, because I just can’t eat a huge meal in the morning.

17. 17 On June 17th, 2009, shell524 said:

I never used to be a breakfast person because my Mom is also not a morning person, so our weekend and summer “breakfasts” were always eaten around 10 or 11AM. I’m often nauseous early in the morning and eating is the last thing on my mind. BUT… I love love LOVE breakfast tacos and burritos. Eggs scrambled with small cubed potatoes and served in tortillas with salsa… Yum!

18. 18 On June 17th, 2009, Electrogirl said:

I love breakfast, and most of the traditional breakfast foods. Mom always insisted that my sister and I eat SOMETHING before we left for school in the morning. Once I got older, I developed epilepsy, bipolar disorder, and panic attacks. I must take my meds twice a day- morning and night- and I must eat when I take them. If I don’t, I get the heartburn from Hades. After more than ten years of eating immediately after getting up, my body now demands to be fed once I wake in the morning. Favorite breakfast food… ooh, that’s tough. I’d have to say steel-cut oats cooked with dried cranberries and cherries, topped with nuts and brown sugar. With a cup of coffee, of course. Takes a while to cook though, so most mornings I end up eating cereal with my coffee.

My sister likes breakfast about as much as you do. She really does better and has more energy when she eats something in the morning, though. I suggested homemade McMuffins a while ago, and she liked that.

-Spray or otherwise grease a small Pyrex bowl.
    -Crack an egg into the bowl, whisk it up if you want it scrambled. Nuke in the microwave.
    -Warm a slice of Canadian bacon, on the stove if you have time or in the microwave if you don’t.
    -Toast and butter an English muffin.
    -Assemble into a sandwich. Slice of cheese optional.
    -Om nom nom!

If you’re vegetarian, you can either use veggie ham or leave that component out entirely. Various types of vegetables would probably make tasty additions as well.

19. 19 On June 17th, 2009, JoGeek said:

Breakfast for me is pretty often leftovers from the night before, whether it be pizza or pot roast. I don’t really stick to american ideas of what to eat when, as I often have more time to make pancakes and eggs at night than in the mornings. I am, however, in love with the morningstar farms breakfast patties and will occasionally make up and freeze a batch of breakfast sandwiches using the patties, a biscuit, and a slice of pepper jack. Basically if I can’t nuke it in two minutes and eat it in the car on the way to work (or the barn), it’s not a breakfast food.

20. 20 On June 17th, 2009, KellyK said:

I’m one of those people who’s hungry immediately upon waking up, and I feel sick if I wait til mid-morning to eat. Skip breakfast? Perish the thought.

I’m a big fan of scrambled eggs in a tortilla. Usually I put peppers and onions in mine, but leftover potatoes sound good too. Melting cheese over the eggs makes it extra yummy. It takes a little while to make (at least, more effort than “open box, dump cereal in bowl, add milk”), so I don’t do it every day.

Typical weekday breakfast for me is a bowl of cereal or an English muffin with peanut butter. I’m another “leftovers for breakfast” person too, especially if the leftovers are Chinese food or pizza. For some reason, I usually won’t eat home-made leftovers for breakfast (a pork chop or lasagna or whatever), but I think take-out or restaurant leftovers make an awesome breakfast.

On the weekends, sometimes my husband makes scones or I make pancakes. Creamed dried beef is one of his favorite breakfast foods, and it’s actually pretty good.

21. 21 On June 17th, 2009, mccn said:

I am neither a breakfast foods person, nor a breakfast person – I’ve never liked eating it, and started skipping breakfast as soon as my parents left me in charge of feeding myself. But I’ve started eating breakfast recently, at my doctor’s advice, and I have found myself not totally hating it. For me, it’s worked to have breakfast at my desk – it’s part of my starting-work routine, and so I’ve come to enjoy the process a little.

I still don’t like breakfast foods – the closest I will get to cereal is pretzels. So for breakfast I just eat things that I like – like rice and veggies, fresh fruit, leftovers from dinner, or popcorn. I don’t feel weird about it at all, because I know that it’s only Americans who require cereals and the like – my French teacher in high school told me that in France, “only babies eat cereal” so maybe that helps. :)

22. 22 On June 17th, 2009, Jackie said:

I <3 Morningstar Farms veggie sausage links! :D

23. 23 On June 17th, 2009, Rachel_in_WY said:

I can totally skip lunch if I’m busy and forget to eat, but never breakfast, or I get really tired in the early afternoon. So I’m a protein packer at breakfast. I make breakfast burritos and stash them in the fridge at work like Heidi does, or bring a hardboiled egg and fruit, or granola with tons of fresh blueberries, or the default yogurt and banana. While I was pregnant I could not get enough protein in the morning, and took to eating toasted english muffins with almond butter (more iron than peanut butter). Sooo yummy. I still occasionally revert to this breakfast for old times’ sake.

24. 24 On June 17th, 2009, April D said:

I usually do about an hour’s worth of stuff before I eat breakfast so I’m not sure if that makes me a “breakfast” person or not. I’ve always hated cereal and can only once in a while enjoy either Lucky Charms or Honey Bunches of Oats. I’d rather have cereal in trail mix… so I never ate much in teh way of grains for breakfast with enjoyment. Now that I can shop and feed myself I know that I need some kind of protein to start my day. Be it egg, tuna-fish, cheese, butter, peanut butter…something. Because of some changes that my doctor recommended to help settle my IBS I am trying to get more fiber in my day; not just in pill form.

Lately my breakfast is a toasted english muffin with one sort of protein on it (butter lately but was on a tuna-fish kick for a few weeks…think I’m about ready for some egg salad now) and the hubby and I split a fruit (I like something crisp to help wake up: Apple or Pear are awesome). I eat it on the way to work and fully wake up. It works for me…but only water or green tea to drink or I end up regretting it 10 minutes later!

25. 25 On June 17th, 2009, scattered marbles said:

I have never been a breakfast person, even when I was a kid breakfasts tended to make me feel sick especially the sweet stuff. I usually don’t even start getting hungry til afternoon and usually eat one meal a day and then just nibble on something after. I find I often would rather drink something like Diet pepsi, mango-mandarin iced green tea, or peach iced tea than eat something.

26. 26 On June 17th, 2009, ReginaE said:

I felt very freed in high school when I realized that I can eat whatever I want for breakfast– and that something I considered nutritious for lunch, dinner, or a snack would work just as well for breakfast, too. The only point is to Break The Fast.

Nowadays I’m pretty happy with various oatmeal concoctions, and sometimes in the summer I like a good smoothie or a bowl of muesli with fresh fruit and yogurt. But I went through a significant period of time in grad school where all I wanted for breakfast was chefs salads (I wasn’t dieting, I just deeply wanted raw vegetables and some cheese for breakfast), and my then-housemate made merciless fun of me for it.

27. 27 On June 17th, 2009, Alexandra Lynch said:

A lot of the time I eat lunch about an hour after I get up. And that is more traditional dinner foods; today it was beef stroganoff and steamed broccoli. That’s the household’s main meal of the day, because we’re running on second shift. I send my husband and boyfriend off to work with sandwiches, and eat one myself around six or seven. When they get home near midnight, I may do eggs and bacon and toast for us all, or pancakes, or they may just grab a bowl of cereal while they check email.

So we just sort of have everything reversed. But it works for us.

28. 28 On June 17th, 2009, Godless Heathen said:

There’s too much sugar in most breakfast food. If I’m going to eat breakfast food, I like unsweetened shredded wheat or grape nuts. If I’m eating breakfast food as a mid-day meal, I like a thick (thick!) ham steak, buttered grits, scrambled eggs and potato hash. If I eat that much, it’s usually the only meal of the day. Some mornings when I’m actually ravenously hungry I’ll eat grits or unsweetened oat meal, but I just prefer to wait until lunch.

I do occasionally make maple and brown sugar flavored brown rice and eat it with fruit, but that’s more of a desert thing. I know, I’m a freak.

29. 29 On June 17th, 2009, Lynn (The Actors Diet) said:

When I was really struggling with my eating disorder, breakfast was either an excuse to pig out or a meal to skip. Now that I have it every morning, every day, for the last year it keeps me in check.

30. 30 On June 17th, 2009, Anna said:

Oh man, I have to admit I am really surprised so many people are not fans of breakfast. Breakfast is such a huge deal in my family.

If I don’t eat something within an hour of getting up, I get really ill. The other day I didn’t have time for breakfast before going to the gym, and nearly threw up.

I’ve become a big fan of fried egg sandwiches lately. They sound a bit gross, but I love them.

31. 31 On June 17th, 2009, Lexie Di said:

It really depends on the time of year whether or not I eat breakfast. During the summer, I usually wake up so late that It’s nearly lunch time so I skip breakfast entirely and it doesn’t bother me a bit. During the school year (I’m a college student) I usually wake up and have some toast and cornflakes or make myself a quick and easy egg sandwich.

I enjoy breakfast when I’m up early enough to have it. It kind of wakes me up and that’s good… I’m not a morning person. Haha!

32. 32 On June 17th, 2009, lilacsigil said:

Mmm, breakfast! I don’t think I’ve ever skipped breakfast in my life unless I was actually too sick to get out of bed – I have problems with dizziness and occasionally can’t stand up first thing in the morning. Even then, I once crawled to the kitchen to grab a bread roll then crawled back to bed with the roll sticking out of my mouth!

33. 33 On June 17th, 2009, RoseCampion said:

I do like breakfast and I feel pretty wretched two, three hours after waking if I don’t have something, but it can’t be too sugary either.

These days, I make myself a green smoothie every morning. Start by cleaning and de-stemming a bunch of greens, kale, turnip greens, spinach or whatever. My favorite right now is collard greens. Then I blend half a bag of frozen fruit with two glasses of water. Do not use red or purple fruit, it will turn your “green” smoothie a really nasty shade of brown. Pick a yellow or orange fruit like mangos or peaches. Once the frozen fruit is blended, start dropping the pieces of greens in. Once its all blended, a squirt or two of agave nectar is nice. You can also add in things like flax seeds (ick!), spirulina,wheatgrass juice, etc. A heavy duty blender like a vita mix is nice for this, but I do just fine with my Cuisinart blender.

Anyway, the green smoothie is perfect for me. Not too sugary, not too heavy, but still enough to keep me full for hours. Also, it’s like two or three servings of vegetables and a couple of servings of fruit.

34. 34 On June 18th, 2009, Melissa said:

Usually it’s not that I’m not a breakfast person, it’s that I need at least an hour before I’m physically hungry after getting up in the morning, my sons the same way.
    So I usually end up sitting around for a bit, or getting ready and doing some laundry before I actually start feeling hungry.
    So at about 10 am ish I’ll usually sit down and eat whatever it is my brain tells me I want.
    Which is usually 2% yogurt (I don’t do low fat diet stuff), or toast, or like this morning I had a piece of chocolate. Seriously I find that if I eat what I want, rather than what I think I should I stay full and satisfied for much longer.
    I’m definitely not a standard cereal person though on a rare occasion I’ll go to Tim Hortons (Canadian Doughnut Place) and get a bagel and coffee frap.

35. 35 On June 18th, 2009, Moni said:

When I have the time to eat more than a piece of toast with Parmesan, I like a traditional hearty Polish breakfast. Toast with lunch meats (mainly ham) and cucumbers, soft cheese spread, or jam. I’ve been told two savory topped toasts and one sweet is proper. Rounded off with coffee or strong black tea. Oh, and kefir. How I miss kefir.

In Poland, when I was lazy I’d just grab a cup of kefir and a roll on my way to class, but alas, that doesn’t work here.

36. 36 On June 18th, 2009, a girl running said:

I don’t know if I am a breakfast person, I eat the first meal when I am hungry and that could be at 7am or 11am – closer to lunch. But the first meal of the day for me is normally scrambled egg whites with veg (if I am not in a hurry) or if I eat before running I have traditional oats (porridge) with honey and no milk. Other ideas (depending on what I am hungry for) include toast and vegemite (yum) raspberries and yoghurt (I had that today) bran flakes, chopped banana and honey or when I am home in Australia (you can’t get cottage cheese in Spain) I love thick rice cakes, with cottage cheese, topped with banana.

37. 37 On June 18th, 2009, Lori said:

I try to make extra of whatever I am having for dinner, and just have the leftovers for breakfast. That way I get a full, satisfying meal, but don’t have to take the time to prepare anything in the morning. Bonus: I am usually not hungry again until almost3 pm.

38. 38 On June 18th, 2009, naath said:

I did read a study once that suggested that the reason that people-who-eat-breakfast do better in the morning is that… morning-people eat breakfast and “OMG do I really have to get up now” people don’t.

I really hate eating in the morning, because I’m still mostly asleep. Generally by the time I get to my desk (about half an hour and a 3 mile cycle from my bed) I can manage a coffee and some fruit. I know that they say one should eat a lot of breakfast, less lunch and even less dinner; but my stomach is much happier the other way ’round.

39. 39 On June 18th, 2009, Monica said:

I can’t live without breakfast. Sometimes, when I try to sleep in, I am awoken by my tummy telling me it is TIME. TO. EAT. Frosted Mini-Wheats are basically the best thing ever; Multigrain Cheerios are a close second. And nothing can beat a bagel with cream cheese, whitefish salad, lox, and a tomato slice on top.

40. 40 On June 18th, 2009, Rachel said:

@a girl running: You can’t get cottage cheese in Spain? Don’t they eat weird stuff like octopus brain? Yet you can’t get cottage cheese?

41. 41 On June 18th, 2009, a girl running said:

I know – yes fried octopus, pig ear sandwiches and a lot of the fad diet stuff of the 80′s – but no cottage cheese. Doesn’t make sense to me at all

42. 42 On June 18th, 2009, merri said:

I am not a morning person at all so I cant eat if its too early. On weekdays, I wait till im at work and after the crush of things to do when I get in, I eat. I was eating instant oatmeal for a while, which was nice and filling and tasty (and easy!) but now I’ve been eating Ezekiel 4:9 which is this weird, healthy, but yummy, sprouted whole grain cereal. It has a weird name and looks like grapenuts but is so tasty. Its at wholefoods and other similar stores. I switched because I read its better to get a little protein in the morning (which this cereal has) to be able to focus better. Im not sure if its working or not but I like the taste. Most cereals just make me hungrier than I started. On saturdays, I usually have cream of wheat. My roomie and i wake up around 1pm and he makes it with a bag of frozen fruit and lots of sugar… its more like our lunch.. it knocks us out but its soo good. Going out for brunch on the weekends is big in my city, but I never wake up in time, and I feel like id rather spend the $ on some dinner food, which I prefer. Esp since most of the choices (pancakes, waffles, french toast, etc) are good but so sugary that I tend to fall asleep from sugar overload.

43. 43 On June 23rd, 2009, Lampdevil said:

I grew up being unable to eat breakfast in the morning. I was queasy and upset and anxious! Food would not stay in me! Breakfast was torture, plain and simple. I’d nosh on a granola bar at first break, instead.

Thing is, I now know why I was so queasy in the mornings. I was STRESSED. I didn’t want to go to school and get up and face the day, and my system had to have been reacting to it. Now that life is decent enough that I can face the day with confidence and optimism, you bet your butt I want breakfast. A big one, if I can get it. A family friend once gave me the line “Breakfast like a king, lunch like a lord, sup like a peasant.” You need all that fuel at the start of your day, and need it less towards the end. Which is why I feel less bad for all those egg and cheese fast food breakfast sandwiches I indulge in. Somewhat less bad. A bit less bad. Ahem. When I’m NOT being a fast-food dashing bum, I’m eating bagels with butter/peanut butter, or yogurt with cereal, or a scrambled egg on a tortilla with some salsa.

Thank you for the steel cut oatmeal link. I can’t stand watery hot cereals (Cream of Wheat is traumatizing…) but a good thick grainy porridge-like substance makes me a happy camper.

44. 44 On June 24th, 2009, cake decorator said:

I always hated breakfast, but my husband can’t leave the house without, so now I have to eat it too! We always have toast, and it’s sooo boring. I would love to have porridge in the morning but this plan has been ruined as we recently went to Ireland and had porridge like I have never tasted before – Amazing! I just can’t make it like that!

45. 45 On June 29th, 2009, susan said:

Breakfast is my favorite meal of the day! I get up at 4:45am, walk the dog, eat breakfast, and do an hour of cardio, so if I don’t eat I get nauseated!
    I usually eat oatmeal of some sort — steel cut oats with mashed banana and peanut or almond butter, 8-grain or 5-grain hot cereal, oat bran, an oatmeal “pancake”, an oatmeal breakfast “cookie”, etc. I also really love ww toast or bagels with peanut or almond butter on.

I adore pancakes and french toast and waffles, but usually have them for dinner because they don’t keep me satisfied in the morning for very long. I almost always order scrambles or omelettes when we go out to restaurants for breakfast.