Ted Nugent and Anthony Bourdain can suck it

5th August 2008

Ted Nugent and Anthony Bourdain can suck it

posted in Fat Bias, Pop Culture |

From reader Lisa H. comes this disturbing exchange between former drug addict turned Travel Channel’s No Reservations chain-smoking, alcohol-sodden host Anthony Bourdain and no-talent rock star has-been Ted Nugent on the so-called obesity epidemic. All the old tired cliches are there, as well as the most recent trend of inflating obesity with national security. It seems that not only does Bourdain have no reservations, he also has no class and no knowledge of all the physiological and environmental variables that play a role in why we weigh what we do. And Ted Nugent? Well, I have absolutely zero expectations for a conservative and misogynistic homophobe who, when he’s not attacking his fellow man, makes a sport of hunting and killing defenseless animals. I don’t recommend watching the video even if you have a high threshold level for ignorant jackasses who exhibit zero compassion or empathy for other human beings.

I try to maintain a high level of professionalism on this site because I think taking the high road is what distinguishes me from people like these jerks, but my title pretty much sums up my feelings on the matter.

This entry was posted on Tuesday, August 5th, 2008 at 12:09 pm and is filed under Fat Bias, Pop Culture. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. Both comments and pings are currently closed.

There are currently 50 responses to “Ted Nugent and Anthony Bourdain can suck it”

1. 1 On August 5th, 2008, Jessie said:

WHY do we listen to Ted and some stupid chef about politics?
    This is so offensive and wrong.

“In our day it was good manners to mock the fat kid”?!?! Wow… just wow.
    Just go kill something and shut up.

2. 2 On August 5th, 2008, J said:

(Un)fortunately, I’m at work and can’t watch the video. But having watched a couple of “No Reservations” episodes, I am absolutely baffled that Anthony Bourdain still buys into myths about what fat people and thin people eat. Has he noticed what HE eats?

I don’t mean to judge — his traveling food orgy looks seriously awesome. But seriously, he’d better not be claiming the mantle of Virtuous Self-Denying Thin Person.

I’m so disappointed! Before I found out he was a hater, I kinda liked his show.

3. 3 On August 5th, 2008, Talley said:

This will be the 41st year in a row that I don’t care what Ted Nugent thinks.

4. 4 On August 5th, 2008, ecogirl73 said:

I actually watched this show last night, and this exchange was not a part of that show — must be something that didn’t make the cut. I can understand why. I feel exactly the same way J does — this guy will eat ANYTHING and EVERYTHING, but somehow thinks that is okay as long as you don’t get fat? I kind of like his show too, as he really prides himself on approaching the world with an open mind (though of course he contradicts himself on that constantly because he is openly disdainful about many parts of the world, including most of the US, however, most of the time he comes around that is part of the shtick). But, apparently that open mind only applies to rest of the world and thin people who can eat whatever they want, and preferably look like Victoria’s Secret models (are they KIDDING on that???). I am really disappointed too – the things they are saying are ridiculous and contradictory and hypocritical. Unbelievable!

5. 5 On August 5th, 2008, Bree said:

Ted Nugent has made his career out of being a jackass that can’t tolerate anything except himself, so it’s no surprise to hear him insulting fat people. I don’t watch Anthony Bourdain’s show, so I’m not familiar with his fat-hate.

6. 6 On August 5th, 2008, Rachel said:

Bourdain is also a unrepentant smoker and drinker, both of which I abstain from and are unhealthier habits than being overweight. I’d measure my good health against his any day of the week.

7. 7 On August 5th, 2008, devil said:

“But seriously, people need to get a life and a reality check if the only thing in this world that freaks them out is the mere sight of fat people and what they may or may not be eating.”

Exactly. I can’t imagine having a life so carefree and devoid of problems that I have time to CARE what other people eat. Even if my life was empty, I would count my blessings focus on positive stuff, not on hateful negative stuff that doesn’t affect my life in any way.

Hate consumes more than any fat person ever will.

8. 8 On August 5th, 2008, Andy said:

@ Talley – LOL!

Why does anyone listen to celebrities about ANYTHING? In this case, one dude’s a chef and the other is (as far as I can tell) a mediocre, has-been rocker turned professional celebrity-jackass.

I mean, how the hell does Anthony Bourdain get to comment on ANYTHING health-related, especially? You know, unless you believe all that smoking and drinking “cleanses” the body or wev.

To sum up: Ugh!

9. 9 On August 5th, 2008, Mary Sue said:

Funny, I watched the whole show last night and that part wasn’t on there. There was a lot about how Tony doesn’t agree with practically anything that comes out of Ted’s mouth, but he found himself nodding along anyway, plus Tony Bourdain is a giant jackass himself, as anyone who bothers to watch his shows or read his books knows, so Ted and Tony together is a sucker bet on doubled-down diarreah mouths.

I also didn’t know you were vegan. Good to know you don’t eat poor defenseless animals.

10. 10 On August 5th, 2008, Sarah said:

I agree with most of your points (per usual!) but hate to see “drug addict” used the way you’re using it here. Bourdain acts like an asshole because he’s an asshole, not because he’s an addict. Lots of nice people are addicts, too.

11. 11 On August 5th, 2008, Rachel said:

MS: I say I am about 95 percent vegan. I would like to be completely vegan, but I find that the lifestyle requires a vigilance to monitoring food that triggers disordered behaviors for me. So, I don’t eat animals, but I do still eat animal byproducts like cheese and no-calorie spray butter.

12. 12 On August 5th, 2008, Elizabeth Twist said:

Ted Nugent commenting on personal aesthetics = rich, delicious irony

13. 13 On August 5th, 2008, Lara said:

I loved the part at the end where they talked about their tax dollars paying for all of the obesity-related illnes. Because Anthony Bourdain is a very heavy smoker and completely unrepentant. He rants about it in his books and claims it is a lifestyle choice that is his alone to make. Well, smoking costs the public way more than obesity. There are actual scientifically-proven links between smoking and cancer and heart disease. With obesity, not so much.

14. 14 On August 5th, 2008, Melissa said:

Fat is unpatriotic?
    I get tired of people going on about being patriotic and what you have to do to be so.
    That is absolutely ridiculous.
    I can’t believe discovery channel pays full price to these assholes for sickening comments that are a rant from their distorted ego rather than a depiction of reality.

It’s sad that it’s considered better to be a drunk chain smoker than someone who’s fat.
    I guess I should just treat these two for what they are- a piece of lint and flick them off my shoulder!

15. 15 On August 5th, 2008, Cindy said:

This is unbridled White Guy hilarity. I’m in tears I’m laughing so hard.

They don’t hate fat people. They’re mad that too many women didn’t get the memo. You know, the one that says: “Pursue the dick-hardening rigamarole for as many men as possible, or just die. If you can’t make my dick stiff, don’t take up my air!” It’s all under the surface. Fat looks vile! That wouldn’t be terrible for all women to look like Victoria’s Secret models!

It’s amusement of the highest order when an aging rock star and a celebrity chef rail on ANYONE for feeling entitled. I mean, really. Both dudes have done more drugs than entire fraternity chapters, but hey, they aren’t fat.

Hilarious!

16. 16 On August 5th, 2008, Lil said:

Just a little disclaimer: I found this article thanks to a link over at The Rotund’s blog and I’m going to be using a very different f-word in this post a LOT (probably a choice few others as well). I usually do use it (think it makes nice punctuation), but this time around, I am using it in its incensed incarnation for this post. So skip over it, if you must.

*ahem*

FUCK YOU, BOURDAIN. Seriously. You know what? I have been watching your show – rather faithfully, I might add – for the better part of two years, now. I had no idea who you were but watching your show gave me the opportunity to see things that – for economical reasons – I just cannot see on my own at this point in my life. Yeah, I’m a fat girl, have been one for my entire life and I don’t block the fucking exit door on the plane, thank you very much.

When I first started watching your program, yeah, you seemed to be pretty brash but at the same time you had personality and it was nice to see someone who smokes and drinks and doesn’t apologize for it – because, in case you hadn’t noticed, those things are also looked down upon these days just as much as having a big ass. And I grew to genuinely appreciate you as a host and look forward to new episodes to see where you’d go and what new adventures you would have. As someone who’s always had (I feel) a very healthy relationship with food, I found it incredibly fun to learn about the different cultures and the way these peoples’ feelings and beliefs about it were interwoven into their daily lives and history. Very interesting stuff.

I used to love watching your show, but I think it’s safe to say that by running your mouth and agreeing with that homophobic right-wing prick of a buddy of yours, you have LOST me as a faithful viewer. Do you not realize that you’re insulting a lot of fellow chefs/cooks with the ignorant shit you were nodding along to and espousing yourself? Like your friend Andrew Zimmern, for example, with whom I know you’ve co-hosted a couple of episodes of each of your respective shows. I can’t help but wonder if HE won’t tell you to go sit on a beehive, his own self. I hope he does. ‘Cause you’re all sorts of a hypocritical prick. It’s easy to run your mouth on and on about the ‘epidemic’ when you’re shoving Korean street junk-food in your gob day in and day out and drinking and smoking like it’s going out of style. But I guess it’s okay, because you’re a chef and you get paid for it, whereas I’m just a fat bitch who needs to go hop on a treadmill. I’m seriously not trying to be on a high horse here or say the way I live is better, but dammit, why’d you have to go and do that, Tony? Seriously. Jerk.

17. 17 On August 5th, 2008, Meowser said:

All you need to know about Ted Nugent is that George Clinton’s nickname for him in the 1970s was Ted Nuisance.

As for Bourdain — yeah, I’m not sure where he gets off thinking he’s a totally low-maintenance human who has never and will never cost his fellow taxpayers a pink cent, and who is in such great shape that, if he was drafted tomorrow, could withstand month after month in the desert looking for Bin Laden. I think someone should draft his pompous ass and find out.

18. 18 On August 5th, 2008, Liza said:

Reason #94697659876958796587968709568707639847596870956879056870984 why I can’t stand Bourdain.

I had no prior opinion on Ted Nugent but he too can suck it.

19. 19 On August 5th, 2008, Tari said:

Dude, thanks for sharing this. Fuck them both. A LOT.

20. 20 On August 5th, 2008, Anne Kaplan said:

@devil: “Hate consumes more than any fat person ever will.”

This is a flabulous line — I’m going to use it — let me know if/how you want acknowledgement.

I’ve enjoyed the see-the-world aspect of Bourdain’s No Reservations, but will be far less likely to watch it now. Will check Travel channel website for a way to let them know why they just lost a viewer. Will also scan for Bourdain’s advertisers, and consider contacting and/or boycotting.

21. 21 On August 5th, 2008, Catgal said:

How disturbing to sterotype an entire group of people (who are the majority in this patriotic country) as being vile, vulger, dumbasses, who have chosen to self-inflict themselves with fat. Yeah, Ted. I have that list that I look at every morning of things I shouldn’t do and shouldn’t eat and I say screw it,I’m going to do them all anyway! HA!!!!! Let everyone else pay for my follies!

It’s another case of what’s wrong with you? Just eat less and excercise… ARRGGHHHHHH!

Oh and notice how Bourdain shut the hell up then The Nuge started talking about smoking and drinking!!!

22. 22 On August 5th, 2008, Bree said:

Actually, Ted Nugent was never a drug addict. He was addicted to boning women, being an asshole, and fulfiling the stereotype of the jerky white ultra-conservative “I’ll shoot anything if I want to because it’s my right dammit!” creep.

23. 23 On August 5th, 2008, Lil said:

Actually, that’s not true, Bree – he *is* a drug-addict. He’s addicted to testosterone XD

24. 24 On August 5th, 2008, Ai Lu said:

Interesting how we don’t get many views of these guys’ bodies in this segment, but when we do it doesn’t look like they would be called to be “Victoria’s Secret models” any time soon, either (as Anthony Bourdain would say). “Fat people” are an easy target for aging white men who are probably aware that they are losing their physical appeal, as well. But picking on the fat kids is just too easy. How arrogant and self-righteous!

Before, I was mildly interested in reading Bourdain’s “Kitchen Confidential” but after seeing this I don’t think I can stomach reading anything written by such a person.

25. 25 On August 5th, 2008, Alyce said:

I’ve read KC and it was fine. Tony Bourdain is a self-righteous prig, but also capable of shutting the hell up when he doesn’t know better, so his writing hasn’t included this kind of bs to-date. He’s an imperfect human being, absolutely. And, like everyone else, in no position to judge. Heroin, cocaine, LSD, alcohol, cigarettes – he’s done them all.

Unfortunately, there’s no rehab for assholism.

26. 26 On August 5th, 2008, Mary said:

I thought about writing a nasty letter to the Travel Channel, then figured that Bourdain would actually enjoy knowing that he upset fat people with his remarks. So I’m at a loss as to what to do about this, except stop watching the show.

27. 27 On August 5th, 2008, Sarah said:

Ted Nugent once said the obesity “crisis” could be solved if everybody hunted their own food. No, really.

28. 28 On August 5th, 2008, AnnieMcPhee said:

Thanks a lot, Uncle Ted. I wonder if he’d be so disgusted if one of his own children had happened to be fat.

29. 29 On August 5th, 2008, Catgal said:

Alyce, Can I please use your quote that Unfortunately there’s no rehab for Assholism? Please??? That was classic!

30. 30 On August 6th, 2008, JeanC said:

SSSIIIIGGGHHHHHH!!!!!!!!

Decided to hold of watching the clip until after we watched the episode (I really wanted to see what fun toys Tony was going to play with. He got to shoot a tommy gn, the bitch!) and then we watched the clip.

Got half way thru it, stopped it and then took Tony off the DVR schedule. I was loving the show, I was thinking he’d gotten more human after his near miss in Beirut, but I guess he just couldn’t give up being a total ashhat.

Seriously disappointed in him. I knew Uncle Ted had gone round the bend a while back. Pity I don’t have any of his records, I would send them back to him in tiny pieces (I have several shotguns that would do the job nicely).

31. 31 On August 6th, 2008, dissenting.adult said:

wow. and some of you people call them haters…?

well, i am not the least bit fond of most anything that comes out of nugent’s mouth. but it is obvious to me that obesity is a problem, not only for the individual, but for our society. it a problem that has been fed to the masses by a government that subsidizes genetically-modified corn production, which feeds the massive amounts of high-fructose corn syrup (the most pervasive poison in our food chain) which feeds the u.s.’s obesity, which feeds the private health care system, which feeds the insurance industry. and of course people involved in every step along the way feed the politicians who enable the whole damn thing.

and for the record, ‘unrepentant smoker’ bourdain is a non-smoker for about a year, now.

and whoever said that obesity is not as big a health risk as smoking or drinking, check your facts.

i by no means hate fat people; that would involve hating members of my family. i hate what business, politics, insurance, and western medicine have done to america. and i can’t stand nugent.

32. 32 On August 6th, 2008, sise314 said:

Unbelieveable.

..he’s not against smoking! Since when is ANY amount of smoke not abuse to your body?? what an asshat.

33. 33 On August 6th, 2008, Lil said:

I don’t know about anybody else, but I’m seriously considering sending a letter (yeah, a real, proper paper-and-ink letter!) to Anthony’s restaurant in NY. Might even forgo the printer and hand-write the thing. *That’s* how much what he said bothered me. Grrgh.

34. 34 On August 6th, 2008, Rachel said:

Dissenting Adult: It sounds like we share similar views on processed foods, but it’s not only fat people consuming these chemicals. I also think the obesity epidemic and its dangers are greatly exaggerated, but for the sake of argument, let’s say you’re right and that obesity is a growing societal and individual problem. How does humiliating and shaming people and making them feel like less of a human being help to improve the situation? If shaming people ever worked to encourage weight loss, we’d be a nation of thin people. Fat people know they’re fat. They don’t need people like Ted Nugent and Anthony Bourdain enlightening them to this fact, nor do they need to be called “land whales” in public and fat kids do not need to be ridiculed and bullied in school.

35. 35 On August 6th, 2008, jmars said:

I read something about Bourdain and his fat disdain a while ago on another blog, but by then I’d been turned off to him by the whole “be a traveller, not a tourist” snobbery. I’m not sure what is accomplished by making people feel like they shouldn’t travel places if they are going to be “just tourists” … except to make them less likely to go.

36. 36 On August 6th, 2008, Swan said:

This may be a bit off topic, but have you seen the Hezbollah Tofu blog yet? The contributors are veganizing Bourdain recipes and plan to eventually release them in book form, with proceeds going to Farm Sanctuary. (It’s worth a visit just for the snarky humor – and the champagne tofu “scallops”.)

37. 37 On August 6th, 2008, dissenting.adult said:

did i ever say or even imply that shaming anyone for any reason is a good idea? specially children?!?

well, the cdc says that obesity in america has increased 60% in the last 20 years, and that coincides nicely with the rise of agribusiness and hfcs. and the continued shift of wealth to fewer and fewer people.

the economy is getting worse, which means that more people will be forced to eat cheaper and cheaper (not natural, genetically-modified, high concentration of hfcs…) food, which means that more people will become obese and develop more diabetes and heart disease, which will make pharmaceutical and insurance companies richer…the cycle goes on. and no, i don’t think the cycle is as easy to break as simply ordering a salad instead of a cheeseburger. that is too simplistic a way of NOT thinking. the deck is stacked against anyone whose body has the propensity to not process some really awful things as well as some other people’s bodies can.

no, i don’t think anyone deserves to be shamed for being fat. i think our entire system needs to be shamed for making so many people fat, as a by-product of greed for money and political power.

i like bourdain’s show. he makes me laugh, but i don’t agree with everything he says. anyone ever watch seinfeld? i sure liked michael richards’ character, kramer. he also made me laugh, but i don’t agree with his racist rant that got so much media attention.

hell, this is completely off-topic, but even though i am also a gun owner, i still can’t stand that imbecile nugent.

38. 38 On August 6th, 2008, faustianbargain said:

oh well..kramer before the racist rant was more appealing than kramer after the racist rant. knowing what he said..it did make a difference.

imo, bourdain’s meat love and his evangelisation of it is more damaging to the environment(enough literature online about the amount of resources..water, food.. *wasted* to create one kilo of meat)..health of people and animals..than all the obese people put together. isnt it all a bit hypocritical. all this to scratch some itch bourdain has got re his self image. why is he still on television. he needs to get fired, sent to a corner where he belongs and cry until he comes back to his goddamn senses. he needs therapy..not enablers in the form of ‘fans’ who cheer every childish stunt he pulls…*that* is a bigger irritant than anything else he or ted nugent can whine about…

39. 39 On August 7th, 2008, Meowser said:

Dude, according to NHANES data, “obesity” rates haven’t changed at all since 2003, and only statistically insignificantly since 1999. What changed was the definition of “overweight” and “obesity”; by dropping the definition two BMI notches down, millions of people became “overweight” and “obese” overnight.

And type 2 diabetes has a very strong genetic link; there is simply more early diagnosis now because it never used to be diagnosed until people had symptoms, and the definition for that was ratcheted down 10 years ago too, from a fasting blood sugar of 140 to a FBS of 126, and now there is also a “prediabetes” category that never used to exist for FBS > 100.

Incidentally, HFCS is not used in Australia, and they have just as many fat people there as in the US.

Besides, what does any of this have to do with whether or not it’s okay to call fat people names? Since when does that ever make people permanently thinner OR healthier?

40. 40 On August 7th, 2008, Lindsay B said:

I got about maybe ten seconds in before deciding that I don’t feel like wasting my sanity on such total assholes.

Dissenting.adult, I don’t think you’re really saying anything that we fat people haven’t already heard before. There are excuses made for how fat people are treated in our culture, but it comes down to people like Ted and Tony there thinking they have the right to determine what’s “right”, healthy, and appealing for everyone else. Individual opinion is just that.

Saying “check your facts” is actually very, uh, ignorant. No offense intended, but many fatties HAVE checked our facts, and have even gone on to check MORE facts than the average person who thinks they know ALL ABOUT obesity because they watched Supersize Me and took a health class in high school. There are new studies that show that obesity can actually have some very positive health affects, and can help even save our lives- for example, surviving a heart attack (Since, gosh, you know what? Thin people get ‘em to!). Most of what you think are facts are really just correlations that have not, in fact, been proven to be causations.

Processed foods are unhealthy for us, regardless if we’re fat or not. There are thin people who can’t get fat no matter what, who are in terrible health because of a crappy diet. Fat does NOT automatically mean unhealthy!

41. 41 On August 7th, 2008, Rachel said:

Erm, so, what exactly is your point here? The topic of conversation here isn’t on obesity and if it is or isn’t a problem and/or if we’ve gotten fatter, why. The topic of conversation is on the offensive comments and slurs used by Bourdain and Nugent.

42. 42 On August 7th, 2008, Chris said:

There’s a transcript here if you can bear to watch the live performance (or if it disappears from the Travel Channel site):

43. 43 On August 10th, 2008, Mel said:

Truly, truly sad. “Kitchen Confidential” is one of my favorite books of all time. It’s sad to realize the amount of disdain that Bourdain harbors for overweight people. Just as disappointing as when Dan Savage turned out that really fatophobic comment in re: gaining weight in a relationship. *sigh*

44. 44 On August 12th, 2008, the me said:

Wow, I had to turn that off halfway through, because it made me sick to my stomach. And here I thought Bourdain had better sense than that. Absolutely disgusting.

45. 45 On August 12th, 2008, Liza said:

The contributors are veganizing Bourdain recipes and plan to eventually release them in book form.

That’s the greatest idea EVER. If for no reason other than the fact that Bourdain regularly says horrible things about vegetarians. I seriously hope they disguise them enough to not have to pay him any royalties on the book, though.

Also, dissenting.adult, wtf? I mean seriously, you’re just repeating the same made-up “facts” and anti-fat drivel that has been strewn all over the internet for years. And “check your facts”? Seriously? Way to be completely condescending. You remind me of the person who congratulated me on “beating the odds” then told me it wouldn’t last forever in a comment on my feministing community post.

46. 46 On August 12th, 2008, Cindy said:

OK. Maybe Ted Nugent never snorted coke.

But he sucked up as much White Guy Entitlement Powder as he possibly could. He’s positively pickled in it and I think he should get a swift kick to the head for even daring to whine about the Awful Entitlement of The Disgusting Fatties TM.

If I recall, Nugent’s rider was onerous and included mandatory “man-sized tissues.”

If it’s one thing I can’t abide, it’s rich white prats who bellyache about the entitlement of others.

47. 47 On August 13th, 2008, Sarah said:

dissenting.adult, get some new arguments. We’ve heard all of yours, and have thoroughly debunked ‘em.

48. 48 On November 3rd, 2008, miss pisstachio said:

ok I hate Thaddeus Nug-nuts view on the world. Pompous self-entitled white man-agerie that he is. but i’ve watched a bunch a bourdains shows and i think he would love that you guys hate him. he’s all about hating the shit you don’t like and not having to apologies for it. he plainly says he disagrees with that no talent guitar wielding blow hard. so what if he’s a skinny hater- I’m overweight but I’m not going to be a hypersensitive hater. and i’m sure as hell not going to boycott someone because 1% of his personal philosophy doesn’t fit in with MY obviously perfect world-view.

49. 49 On January 5th, 2009, Chris said:

I can’t believe I’m about to defend Uncle Ted, but what the hell. Somebody mentioned up above that Nugent and Bourdain have each done copious amounts of drugs. Bourdain cetainly did and he is very candid about the fact that he nearly died when he was a junkie. Nugent, on the other hand, has never done drugs and rarely ever drinks. In fact, on this show he’s shown drinking a beer and mentions it’s something like the 3rd beer he’s ever had in his life. I don’t really like what Ted is selling in general, but a drunk and drug addict he never has been.

Bourdain, as a longtime unrepentant smoker (though he recently quit), is being more than a little hypocritical when he rails against obesity, which he views as very unhealthy and completely voluntary.

This question is just a subset of the larger question of when the state in a “free” society coerces behavior for the public good.

I also want to respond to some of the vegan / “defenseless animals” comments. One either accepts human use of animals or one does not. If one does, the issue of hunting is moot, if one does not, hunting is merely one of many other activities to which one is morally opposed. I hunt, in part because I enjoy eating wild game. It’s free range and organic :) . But in my mind selectively killing a game animal to eat is far less cruel than the treatment of animals in factory farms. And meat eaters, users of leather, insulin, etc., etc., etc., all kill animals with their money as surely as I do with a rifle or shotgun.

50. 50 On June 12th, 2010, Sue M said:

I can tell you I have seen the video on You Tube where those two jerks have that dialogue between them, but I wasn’t surprised in the least. I have heard Bourdain make jokes about “fat chicks” on his show, and also when we went to see Nugent at Naperville, IL’s Ribfest in 2008, Nugent made a tactless remark to the “fat mamas out there” (in the audience). Or something very close to that wording. Ted Nugent is one of those people who never learned when to keep his big mouth shut, and thinks his word is the LAST word! Well, it isn’t.