It’s official: Janice Dickinson is crazy

12th December 2007

It’s official: Janice Dickinson is crazy

Perhaps Botox ought to come with a warning: Caution, may destroy part of brain capable of making rational decisions.

Blogs and media sites across the nation and beyond are all hashing and rehashing the latest debacle starring the Queen of Crazy, Janice Dickinson – see here and here. In case you’ve been living under a rock, the former model-turned-scary-reality TV star weighed in on the much-criticized bikini photos of Jennifer Love Hewitt in an episode of The Today Show:

“These are unflattering camera angles on her,” said Dickinson, 52. “You want to see someone who’s fat? I’m sorry, Tyra. Tyra Banks is fat. This girl is not fat.”

Seriously, with women like this, who needs the patriarchy?

Traci Moslenko - Janice Dickinson Modeling AgencyWith the latest brouhaha still raging, I settled the remote last night on an “all new” episode of Dickinson’s Oxygen reality show, in which Dickinson conducts an open call for new models. After signing a model who clearly has self-harming issues, Janice takes model, Traci Moslenko, to task for gaining weight.

Janice humiliates a bikini-clad Traci in front of her peers following a casting call, pointing out and criticizing what she perceives as weight gain. Traci, visibly uncomfortable with the scrutiny, appears on the verge of tears. “I’m not going to starve myself again, Janice,” she says quietly.

Traci exits, presumably to change clothes, while Janice and members of her entourage wait for her in the foyer. Looking to her loyalists for reassurance, Janice shrilly criticizes the 21-year-old model: “She’s a fat sausage; you can eat her,” shrieks Janice. “She’s huge. She’s a hot dog!”

Enter Traci, now changed in a dress, which Janice has her lift to expose her near-naked body. Janice proceeds to pinch, poke and prod Traci – much like a cattle rancher inspecting his herd – all the while, hurling criticisms at Traci’s body, criticizing her thighs and the texture of her skin, squeezing her arms… each part of Traci’s body grotesquely magnified, judged and condemned.

The scene alternates between Janice’s body examination of Traci and cameo interviews with Traci recorded later. In the interview, Traci explains that she feels she looks and feels healthy, and that even if she is “overweight” she doesn’t want to starve herself again to fit into an unnatural size for her body.

The scene flashes again to Janice, who abruptly strips off her “perfect sample size four” skirt and demands Tracy try and fit into it. “I’ll eat my words if you can fit into it,” she screams a-la Janice style. The episode ends as Traci struggles to squeeze into the black pencil skirt.

This is what Traci wrote for her bio on the show’s website:

I was battling an eating disorder last year of anorexia and I became very addicted to laxatives to stay in shape. Now I watch what I eat, I’ve almost overcome my eating disorder, however, I do not work out, and as I am writing this I’m on the fifth day of the Master Cleanse.

The website lists a 5’8” Traci at 108 pounds. Her BMI is 16.4. If Traci were in Spain, she would be prohibited from participating in Fashion Week because her BMI falls below 18, the minimum set by the Spain fashion council. So, even if Traci did gain weight (which isn’t visibly apparent to anyone besides Janice Dickinson), she has plenty of wriggle room.

Clearly Traci has serious problems with an eating disorder. Yet, Dickinson – who knows about Traci’s eating disordered past and who continues to insist throughout the show that the health of her models is of paramount concern – berates, demeans and otherwise denigrates a girl with fragile mental health.

Of course, this is coming from the same woman who, when asked what she thought of the recent controversy surrounding super-skinny models earlier this year, replied:

“I’m dying to find kids who are too thin. I’ve got 42 models in my agency and I’m trying to get them to lose weight. In fact, I wish they’d come down with some anorexia. I’m not kidding. I’m running into a bunch of fat-assed, lazy little bitches who don’t know how to do the stairs or get their butts into the gym.”

Yes, it seems as if Janice Dickinson isn’t kidding. In the insane world Dickinson inhabits, it seems “some anorexia” is good for the bottom-line. Not so good, of course, for the models.

This entry was posted on Wednesday, December 12th, 2007 at 5:49 pm and is filed under Body Image, Eating Disorders, Fashion, Health, Nutrition & Fitness, Pop Culture. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. Both comments and pings are currently closed.

There are currently 37 responses to “It’s official: Janice Dickinson is crazy”

1. 1 On December 12th, 2007, Davita Cuttita said:

I am mortified.

But I can’t say I’m surprised.

The way she humiliates and dehumanizes her fellow womankind is disgusting. I’m a size seven which according to Dickinson means I’m morbidly obese. I’m kind of torn between laughing and concern–how many of truly revolutionary women of our time–women who fought injustice, sickness, intolerance and fear itself–were hindered themselves by stressing over their waste size?

I sincerely hope this makes young girls question who they idolize and society’s ridiculous standards of beauty. As a young girl myself, this will simply be added to my piles of “See? I told you she was a crazy bitch” and “the bullshit people say”. Delicious!

*PS: I think Tyra is fabulous, inside and out.

2. 2 On December 12th, 2007, Meowser said:

“I wish they’d come down with some anorexia”? She really said that? Damn. She just out-Coultered Coulter.

3. 3 On December 12th, 2007, KarenElhyam said:

Seriously. The woman is known for being outrageous, but this isn’t just outrageous, it’s evil. Flat out, no questions asked. I know she has at least one daughter…would she say the same thing about her?

“A little anorexia, as long as you’re SKINNY?”

Gosh, I don’t care what her intentions are saying any of these things, be it attention whoring or ignorance, the woman is evil.

4. 4 On December 12th, 2007, vesta44 said:

There is a special section of hell somewhere for that thing that thinks it’s a woman (it’s a devil masquerading as female). The sad thing is that this will just make her show more popular because people will tune in to just see if she can get even more evil. I don’t know why nastiness sells, but it seems that it does.

5. 5 On December 12th, 2007, Carrie said:

I’d almost love for her to ridicule my body, just so I could have the pleasure of punching her in the stomach and saying “I might have more fat than you, bitch, but that I also means *I have more muscle*”

That felt really good.

6. 6 On December 12th, 2007, Rachel said:

BTW, the photo of the chick in the post – the one wearing the “Feed the Models t-shirt” – is actually Traci Moslenko. I got it off her MySpace page. I thought it was rather ironic.

7. 7 On December 13th, 2007, m said:

You’re preaching to the choir! She is infinitely disturbing.

8. 8 On December 13th, 2007, Sarah said:

Ah, another celebrity I have no use for! I never thought much of Janice anyway.

9. 9 On December 13th, 2007, Toby Wollin said:

I, for one, want Janice Dick-head OFF this or any other channel right NOW. Oprah Winfrey is one of the co-founders of Oxygen and I am going to write her a very stiff letter about this. Giving Janice this sort of exposure and platform is promoting the worst sort of not only “fat hatred” but also “female hatred” and eating disordered behaviors. She should be ashamed of herself.
    Instead of her marching around stumping for Obama, Oprah needs to pay attention to her business empire.
    My two cents.

10. 10 On December 13th, 2007, Telle said:

This is just unbelievably sickening. I am horrified that a fellow human being could act in such a manner.

11. 11 On December 13th, 2007, JeanC said:

Someone needs to find this twit and apply a clue bat with extreme prejudice. The people who allow this clueless wonder a platform to spew her crap also need to have a clue bat applied. I’m am willing to supply bat and do the applying.

What people need to do is start writing and complaining to the sponsors of the show and to the channel to let them know this is totally unacceptable.

12. 12 On December 13th, 2007, Rachel said:

JeanC and Toby – I agree with you both. We should expect better messages from programmers. And clearly, I think Janice Dickinson to be on par with the devil’s evil twin sister.

However, from what I read, this sort of thing goes on all the time in the modeling world. Janice Dickinson isn’t unique; she’s just more (and excruciatingly) vocal about it. At least having this on record allows us to bring up the issue of body image and eating disorders, and the influence the modeling world has on both in the larger public, and have tangible evidence to back up our claims.

13. 13 On December 13th, 2007, Beth said:

Should the model Traci ever stumble upon this sight and read this I want her to know that she is BEAUTIFUL and does not deserve to be treated that way. No one does.

Janice Dickinson is a bully. The only way to feel good about her self is to bring everyone else down. She obviously needs serious help.

14. 14 On December 13th, 2007, Tari said:

You know, not to disparage an obviously talented and powerful woman, but I’ve never thought of Oprah as particularly fat friendly. I mean, I caught two minutes of one of her shows recently – and it was a cavalcade of “sheroes” whose “greatest” “accomplishment” was losing a truckload of weight. I’m sorry, but I expect more from a hero…and while Oprah might not love Crazy Janice’s tactics and extremes, I don’t know that she’d disagree with the intention.

15. 15 On December 13th, 2007, Rachel said:

I have no love for Oprah, either. I think all her power and influence have gone straight to her head.

And Tari, do you watch Project Runway? Last night the designers designed clothes for women who had lost anywhere from 30 something to 160 pounds. The designers clapped for them and generally acted as if these women had just achieved peace in the middle east… Disgusting.

16. 16 On December 13th, 2007, Lex said:

Wow thats unbelievable….
    what an asshole.

17. 17 On December 13th, 2007, Beth said:

Oprah is a perfect example of a woman who lost weight and struggles to keep it off. Tune is once a week and you can see her weight change. And the woman has her own chief, trainer, and stylist.

18. 18 On December 13th, 2007, Rachel said:

There are many reasons I don’t care for Oprah, and her weight isn’t amongst any of them. But I do think, Beth, it goes to show that even money doesn’t win the battle of the body.

19. 19 On December 13th, 2007, Katie said:

Wow. That woman needs to be slapped. That was absolutely appalling! I can’t believe they air that kind of stuff. I don’t have TV, so I’m not up on who she is or whatever, but that was just sick. I guess I’m glad I don’t have to watch it. I’d probably want to punch the television.

20. 20 On December 13th, 2007, Tari said:

And Tari, do you watch Project Runway?

Nope. I’m anti-cable…so unless my rabbit ears pick it up (PBS!), I pretty much don’t catch it.

Sounds like I’m not missing much there. How revolting!

21. 21 On December 13th, 2007, Cindy said:

I chalk it up to this. Janice is old and ugly according to her profession. Being controversial is her job security.

22. 22 On December 14th, 2007, Carrie said:

Here’s an interesting article I found on my blog newsfeed:

Carrie

23. 23 On December 15th, 2007, Rachel2 said:

It sounds to me like that Janice psycho is a bloody bitch.

24. 24 On December 15th, 2007, Josie said:

I read an interview with her today. She described eating disorders amongst models as “tragic” and said she used to have bulimia.

So, she’s either crazy, a huge hypocrite, a liar, or some combination.

25. 25 On December 15th, 2007, buttercup said:

I had a moment of either tragic grief or riotous laughing, I’m not sure which, at the Dentist’s office on Monday. The Today show had Al Roker with Janice Dickinson talking about….. why girls have self-esteem issues.

I wish I was joking.

26. 26 On December 17th, 2007, Karrigan said:

I feel so sad for Traci – the poor girl must have been horribly triggered by Janice’s cruelty, and I hope she was strong enough to resist falling into disordered behaviour again afterwards.

Janice Dickinson should be ashamed of herself, and more than that, should apologise to Traci. Her behaviour was absolutely disgusting – I don’t care if she’s running a modelling agency, there’s really no excuse for treating another person so badly.

That aside, I imagine JD would choke if she saw the size I am :)

27. 27 On December 21st, 2007, Izzy said:

I figure sooner or later, Janice will hang herself in the end. I heard two of her most productive models dropped her agency and have gone on to other things. One of them, Stina, is STILL being represented by the other agency that Peter is CEO of (sorry for the bad grammar). If that doesn’t tell Janice something, perhaps nothing will. I still wonder if so much of this stuff isn’t staged for dramatic value and ratings. Oh well, staged or not, I don’t care for Janice. I know lots of people LOVE her, but I’m not in that category.

28. 28 On December 24th, 2007, Frank said:

Janice is a human scumbag. Most of the models she is constantly trashing are more beautiful than her, on both the outside and the inside. She’s an older woman barely recognizable as human after all of the obvious bad plastic surgery she’s had. Gross.

29. 29 On December 27th, 2007, Rachel said:

Frank – While I think Janice Dickinson is abhorrent, I don’t think demeaning her for her physical appearance is really productive, given that we’re criticizing her criticisms of others for their appearances.

And FYI to folks, I did write the Oxygen Network about my concerns with the ethically irresponsible and potentially dangerous messages aired in the show. Here’s the response I received:

Thanks for writing Oxygen.

The views expressed by Janice Dickinson are her own and don’t reflect the views of the Oxygen Network. While we love Janice, Oxygen is extremely sensitive to the issue of eating disorders. As a network, we believe anorexia is a serious, potentially life-threatening illness – for women, men and yes … even models.

We appreciate your concern and will promptly forward your e-mail to our Talent Relations department, so they are aware.

Sincerely,

The Oxygen Network

So, the big blow-off isn’t unexpected, but I am surprised that they seemed to actually read my email.

30. 30 On December 28th, 2007, Rachel2 said:

If they’re that sensitive to the issue of eating disorders, they would pull the plug on Dickinson’s show. I am not going to demean her for her physical appearance. I will demean her for being an abhorrent, psychotic bitch. I think that’s where we’re all coming from on this one.

31. 31 On January 10th, 2008, Denise said:

JANICE SAYS SHE IS A SIZE 4? yEAH RIGHT,IN WHICH WORLD ? My sister is a size 4 and weighs 103,she is a little shorter than Janice,but all the same,my sister is alot smaller in her hips and her waist. I am 5’8′ and weigh 118 and take a size 8- 9. So again,in which world does she take a size4? My doctor says I should put on a couple of lbs. Comparing myself to Janice,she weighs probably 125-130.

32. 32 On January 11th, 2008, Rachel said:

Morbid curiosity keeps us watching the JD show now. On the latest episode, longtime model Crystal doesn’t admit to an eating disorder, but alludes to it by saying she’s become “obsessed” and its now causing her health problems. Of course, Janice tells her she shouldn’t obsess over her weight while continuing to rage and harp on other models for their weight. Classic case of do as I say, not as I do.

33. 33 On August 15th, 2008, Jennifer Love Hewitt: Another Hollywood Hypocrite » The-F-Word.org said:

[...] those much-criticized bikini photos of Jenner Love Hewitt last year and her impassioned pleas “to all girls with butts, boobs, [...]

34. 34 On August 15th, 2008, Mari said:

Janice Dickinson shouldn’t be the morality compass in any world, nor is she even a “real” model. She’s a has-been from twenty years ago that used to be a bombshell but has ruined her looks with plastic surgery, booze and drugs.

I remember hearing somewhere that she had been molested as a child and then I felt really bad for her. If you go to her wikipedia page, her father told her that she looked like a boy. She must feel that all women have to look like a boy to be worth something.

35. 35 On September 28th, 2008, heather nicole said:

I admit, the Janice franchize has gotten to me.
    I don’t believe in all her ethics, but being fat I do believe I need to loose weight. I’d do anything to look like traci. I’m sixteen and have been battleing with this image shit for two years now. I honestly just want to weight about 115 pounds or less and I’d be happy.

36. 36 On January 24th, 2009, Becca said:

Thats awful. Eating disorders are serious. My sister battled with one a few years back and it totally changed who she was. And anyways, these days ppl arent into the rail thin models. Curves are in:)

37. 37 On April 19th, 2009, tainzy said:

my mom used to be a model around 20 years ago, but she quit that industry because of people like janice. my mom does not agree with needing to starve yourself to look great in an outfit. my dream is to become a model, and my mom always encourages me to follow my dreams but she also reminds me the constant criticism that im going to face everyday about the way i look. yes, i have seen this episode of the janice dickinson modeling agencey and ever since that day my mom prohibits me from watching that show. shecant believe that a boss can treat her employer or any one in that matter.