Strength in numbers

7th October 2007

Strength in numbers

I was alerted to a hideous and utterly revolting Halloween “costume” offered by Halloweenstreet.com from this post over at Shapely Prose. Oh, so cleverly titled “Sexy Anna Rexia,” the costume featured a black skintight dress (think Kelly Bundy) sporting a white skeleton on it, with a tape measure choker and belt as “accessories,” as modeled by a buxom, double-D blonde bombshell.

I was so deeply offended and outraged at this blatant glamorization of anorexia, I shot off an email to the company. I really had no expectation Halloweenstreet would act on my complaint, much less reply, but internet activism really works. The costume was taken down shortly after I – and many others – saw it.

Here’s the response I got from the company (note, I don’t know why they put certain words in quotes – I never complained the outfit was trashy, just in very bad and irresponsible taste)

Rachel: Thank you for your email. We have since removed the costume from our web site, never to be seen again.

We never, never meant to offend anyone for any reason. We are even careful choosing our “sexy” costumes so that they are not “trashy” or offensive to families, children or young girls that shop our site. We are sorry to have hurt you and to have put this “out” there.

Please accept our apologies and know that we made a mistake and truly do care what a person thinks and feels.

I highly doubt my lone email would have influenced the company this much, so I assume that others out there also fired off complaints of their own. Coincidentally, I also received an email the same day from a NY Times reporter who is working on a story about the emerging fatosphere movement.

The fatosphere is certainly turning into a force to be reckoned with. The possibilities of what we can achieve when we harness our collective activism is beyond imagination.

This entry was posted on Sunday, October 7th, 2007 at 5:57 pm and is filed under Eating Disorders, Pop Culture. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. Both comments and pings are currently closed.

There are currently 6 responses to “Strength in numbers”

1. 1 On October 7th, 2007, buffpuff said:

Blimey, rachel! Reeeesult!

Mind you, how Halloween Street reckons their costumes are non-trashy, wholesome family fun is beyond me.

Fantastic news about the NYTimes too – assuming they’re going to give the fatosphere serious coverage rather than running some exploitative, “look what these freaks are up to!” feature.

2. 2 On October 7th, 2007, Colleen said:

Awesome!!

The thing is that a lot of the costume sites get their costumes from the same distributors, so I wouldn’t be surprised if the costume was on other sites, too. Hopefully, Halloween Street passed the emails and letters on to their distributor so the costume will be put out of production.

3. 3 On October 7th, 2007, Rachel said:

buffpuff – From her email, I expect it to be a fairly neutral, even positive piece on the movement. I looked her up before I responded and the stories of hers I read are all fairly balanced and well-written.

Good point Colleen. I don’t expect them to go that far, though it would be awesome if they did.

4. 4 On October 8th, 2007, mo pie said:

Wow, that’s awesome. Once, I was interviewed by the NYT was by a reporter who really wanted me to say I hated being fat, hated my mother for making me fat, and being fat was making me miserable. The article never appeared. My husband (who reads the NYT religiously) was devastated!

5. 5 On October 9th, 2007, Fillyjonk said:

“Out”? WTF? Usually when people misuse quotes I can at least see the rationale…

Evidently the company that makes the costume is http://www.dreamgirldirect.com. So they should be the next target. (I never did write to Halloweenstreet but I’m going to put together a letter to dreamgirldirect. What a name. Sounds like a purveyor of Russian brides.)

From what Kate says, the reporter means well but hasn’t done her research very thoroughly. Luckily you’re always on top of your citations, and Kate’s been sending her tons of stuff to read.

6. 6 On October 9th, 2007, Rachel said:

Russian brides, hehe.

Fillyjonk: Yes, I’ve prepared and have stats to quote.