Courtney Love discusses weight loss in Harper’s

16th August 2007

Courtney Love discusses weight loss in Harper’s

No celebrity has displayed the bipolar, seemingly schizophrenic outrageous behavior as Courtney Love. Love’s a contradiction unto herself: part devastating trainwreck, but with a very real raw and artistic talent. Courtney Love

It’s a shame that Love’s fame is based, not on her incredible talent as a musician and actress, but by her ability to self-destruct before our very eyes.

All of which is why Love’s upcoming cover shot and feature in Harper’s Bazaar is not cause celebre, but appears to be rather just another Love lampooning in a long series of tabloid-like stabs.

Instead of placing the focus on Love’s comeback through an avalanche of turmoil, Harper’s focus is, as is with the case of most female successes, on Love’s weight.

Now newly svelte, Love will grace the upcoming issue of Harper’s Bazaar, parading about a new figure which has prompted rumours of anorexia. At a New York concert last month, Love even joked about the disease – taking a swig of a protein drink between songs then saying she “had to take care of my eating disorder.”

The 43-year-old singer discusses her weight loss with the magazine:

“Go check it out. All of the size 8s are gone,” said Love. “I’ve lost a lot of weight, and I have done it through being quite disciplined.”

Love says she now weighs about 139 pounds. She credits her new figure to visits to a clinic for “colonics and fasting” several times a year and two meal replacement shakes and “fish and macrobiotic food” daily.

After reading the above Associated Press story, which is dated today, I couldn’t help but vaguely remember reading some discombobulated, incoherent ramblings by Love just the other week. A quick Google search yielded the Aug. 9 story, in which Love insists she’s put on weight thanks to a diet of cupcakes.

Courtney wrote on her blog, “ive put on 10 pounds (thank you Sprinkles cupcakes wic h i must admit are overrated).[sic]

“I must point out the hypocrisy of this crazy hysteria about my weight…Noones going to mistake me for Eva Longoria, andmy god I am truly hAppy to be who an what i am with my life an dmy expirience i can do so many things help so many people and make such a beautiful clothing line too! and maybe finish this dammed sript one day.[sic]”

So, which is it? Fish and fasting, or cupcakes?

Despite her own transparent discrepancies, Love now has nothing but criticism for others in the media sporting shrunken frames.

“By the way,” she said, “I hate reading magazines where the actresses are saying, ‘Broccoli and fish, broccoli and fish.’ You liars. You bulimic liars.”

Right. And a steady diet of crack had absolutely nothing to your weight loss either, did it Courtney?

While I don’t particularly like the person that is Courtney Love –selfish druggy and negligent parent she is – I admire her as an artist and empathize with her. I truly hope that her claims of finally reaching a good, happy place are genuine.

This entry was posted on Thursday, August 16th, 2007 at 12:03 pm and is filed under Diets, Eating Disorders, Pop Culture. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. Both comments and pings are currently closed.

There are currently 12 responses to “Courtney Love discusses weight loss in Harper’s”

1. 1 On August 16th, 2007, Celeste said:

She sounds very disordered in every way that there is.

2. 2 On August 16th, 2007, Meowser said:

Yes, and a couple of months ago she also told People that she was being forced by doctors to quit smoking because of nodules in her throat, and that her thin phase was “gonna go fast” once she gave up the smokes. Linky: http://www.people.com/people/article/0,,20041099,00.html

Part of what makes Courtney interesting, though, is her transparency. You have to wonder if one of the “bulimic liars” she’s talking about is herself.

3. 3 On August 16th, 2007, Kate Harding said:

And rumors of WLS. Just because I can’t resist spreading rumors.

4. 4 On August 16th, 2007, Rose said:

She looks terrible these days! Too much plastic surgery, too much weight loss. I don’t understand why people with natural beauty want to do things like that to themselves.

I like her though, she’s a crazy-ass loose cannon, but she’s also a real talent. Live Through This is still one of my favorites. I hope she eats a few of those sprinkes cupcakes again!

5. 5 On August 16th, 2007, Rachel said:

Rose – I heartily agree. I deliberately chose to put a picture with the story of her in her better days, as opposed to the pictures of how she really looks today.

6. 6 On August 16th, 2007, Lindsay said:

This is just creepy.

7. 7 On August 17th, 2007, littlem said:

So instead of “broccoli and fish” for her, it’s “fish and macrobiotic food.”

Guess broccoli can’t be macrobiotic. And the order in which you describe your diet makes a difference.

And, so. Size 8 is the new fat size now?

8. 8 On August 17th, 2007, Meowser said:

A size 8 now is what a size 10 used to be. But yeah, it’s a pretty big stretch to call it “fat” — unless you’re standing next to a size 2, which she almost always is.

9. 9 On August 19th, 2007, Kim Miller said:

I’m so impressed with your thought provoking topics and responsible stance on women and their relationship to their health. I too am fascinated with the trainwreck that is Courtney Love. It seems even the most rebellious characters in Hollywood can’t resist the pull of uber-thindom.

Have you checked out the new site by NYT bestselling author, Sherryl Woods, about women and their relationships? I would love to see you do a guest blog at that site. Your topics are incredibly timely, and important for everyone to see. I work with the PR firm that represents Sherryl, and I know she would be thrilled to link back to your blog as well.

Regardless, keep up the great work. I WILL be back to see what you come up with next.

All the best,
    Kim Miller
    kmiller@nancyberland.com

10. 10 On August 19th, 2007, Kim Miller said:

Sorry, it might help if you knew the site address (oops!): http://www.justbetweenfriendsblog.com.

11. 11 On August 29th, 2007, Harriet said:

And here I remember the good old days when a size 8 was skinny and size 0 just didn’t exist.

12. 12 On September 1st, 2007, Lisa said:

The Harper’s Bazaar article is published in the September issue of Bazaar, so that interview most likely took place in June or before.
    I wonder, though, what her current size is… at 139, it can’t be much lower than a 6, which is just one size smaller than an 8. On the other hand, the article mentions that she reached a high weight in the 180s, which is definitely a size 12 or higher. I guess it’s more satisfying to say “all the size 8s are gone!” than “all the size 14s are gone!”